How do we determine your fur coat's value?
There are a lot of things that go into determining the value of your fur coat.
- Prices are based on the standard rate of 20% depreciation per year from date of purchase on the wholesale price, as retail fluctuates to much and all retail furriers paid the same cost from fur coat manufacturers, with a suggested retail cost they may or may not have followed.
- Most furs have a shelf life of 18-22 years, animal skins are biodegradable and perishable over time no matter how many times you did not wear them.
- Fur coat age and pelt condition is crucial to determine if the fur coat skins can be reworked or sewed again into toys or pillows.
- Older fur coats will eventually start to physically breakdown with or without proper storage maintenance remember it is a biodegradable product an animal skin.
- For proper assessment of the fur coat, it needs to be physically examined by a professional furrier.
- Buying a used fur coat is like buying a used car over the phone that is why physical examination is necessary.
- This determines if the value is greater than the age it has, fur coats like a car can be in immaculate condition therefore being worth more but that is only determined by a professional furrier.
Often clients have an unrealistic expectation of the value of their used fur garment.This is usually due to a mistaken idea of what an insurance or furriers appraisal tells them. An appraisal on a fur garment is an estimate of the retail REPLACEMENT price. It covers the cost of a NEW item that is similar to the one you own - i.e. what it would cost to replace yours if it were stolen, lost or destroyed with a new garment of the same fur, style, length, size and quality.
If any furrier says your coat is worth any amount, that you would be quite pleased in selling for, ask him for only 1/2 of it and he can then sell the fur coat for the other 1/2 and see how fast he or she removes them selves from the whole deal! An item is only worth what the market will bare and today's fur market is quite BEAR!
If you are wanting to sell your used fur coat, what you need to be interested in is the actual cash value of the garment; this is usually significantly less than any appraised value. Any item is only truly "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it. The price we pay for a fur garment or the listing price of a consigned garment is objectively determined by factors such as the age of the fur, its condition including the skins, style, size, length and marketability.
For more information please take a moment to CLICK HERE and provide us with information about the fur coat you are interested in selling.
Or you can check our FUR BUYING EVENTS CALENDAR to see when we're coming to a location near you.
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." Genesis 1:26
"The LORD God made garments of animal skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." Genesis 3:21